Domestic Violence Fact Sheet
“Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man.” PROVERBS 22:24
- No one should be a victim of domestic violence—EVER!
- Domestic violence is often overlooked, excused, or denied.
- Domestic violence and emotional abuse are defined as behaviors used by one person in a relationship to control the other. Partners may be married or not married; heterosexual, gay, or lesbian; living together, separated or dating.
- Violence can be criminal and include physical assault (hitting, pushing, shoving, etc.), sexual abuse (unwanted or focused sexual activity), and stalking. Although emotional, psychological and financial abuses are not criminal behaviors, they are forms of abuse and can lead to criminal violence.
- ANYONE CAN BE A VICTIM! Victims can be any age, sex, race, culture, religion, education, employment or marital status.
- If your partner repeatedly uses one or more of the following to control you:
- pushing, hitting, slapping, choking, kicking, or biting
- threatening you, your children, other family members or pets
- threatening suicide to get you to do something
- using or threatening to use a weapon against you
- keeping or taking your paycheck
- puts you down or makes you feel bad
- forcing you to have sex or do sexual acts you do not want or like
- keeping you from seeing your friends, family, or from going to work
YOU HAVE BEEN ABUSED!!
- Domestic Violence Hotline: 800.799.7233
- Women Shelters
- Genesis Shelter: 214.942.2998
- Brighter Tomorrow: 972.262.8383
- The Family Place: 214.941.1991
- Legal Assistance and Protection
- Lawyers Against Domestic Violence: 748.1234
- Legal Help Line for Domestic Violence: 800.777.4673
- Legal Services of North Texas: 214.748.1234
- Dallas County District Attorney’s Office
- Family Violence Division: 214.653.3528
- Protective Orders: 214.653.3528
- Harmony Counseling Center: 214.751.3932
- Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship Counseling Center: 214.672.9100
- Lake Point Church Counseling Center: 469.698.2250
- Carolyn Thompson, LPC-S: 817.632.6637 (Private Practice)
- Dr. Iman Ross, LPC-S: 469.236.3999 (Private Practice)